State ________, Incorporated place ________. Ward of city _________; Unincorporated place [Name of unincorporated place having 100 or more inhabitants] _______________________. County _______________. Township or other division of county ________________________. Block Nos. ___________; Institution [Name of institution and lines on which entries are made] _________________________________.
410. Name of Institution. -If you are enumerating the population of an institution, no matter how small, such as a prison, jail, almshouse, or asylum, enter the full name of the institution in the place indicated at the head of the schedule. If the name of the institution does not indicate its type, enter also the type of institution as, "John Smith Home (Home for the Aged). In case only a portion of a sheet of the Population schedule is used for inmates of the institution, indicate the lines on which the names of the inmates appear, as "Marshall County Jail, lines 25 to 69."
__________________. Institution [Insert name of institution, and indicate the lines on which the entries are made] _________________________________.
86. Name of institution.Wherever an institution, such as a prison, jail, almshouse, hospital, asylum, college, convent, or other establishment containing a resident population, is to be enumerated, the full name and title of the institution should be written on the line provided therefor at the head of the sheet, and all persons having their usual places of abode in such institution, whether officers , attendants, inmates, or persons in confinement, should then be entered consecutively on the schedules.
87. If, as sometimes may be the case, a sheriff, warden, or other official lives in one end of the institution building, but separated by a partition wall from the building proper, his family (including himself as its head) should be returned as a separate family, and should not be returned as part of the "census family" to which the inmates are credited. In such case the officer in immediate charge should head the institution schedule.
88. When the officers or attendants, or any of them, do not reside in the institution buildings, but live with their families in detached dwellings located in the institution grounds, they should be reported as separate families, but should be included as a part of the institution population. The families of officers or attendants who reside wholly outside the institution precincts, either in houses rented or owned by the institution, or by themselves, should not be enumerated as a part of the population of the institution.
89. When an institution is enumerated, write on each sheet in parenthesis, immediately following the name of the institution at the head of the sheet, the numbers of the lines upon which the inmates thereof have been entered, as for example, "East Side Mission (lines 6 to 69, inclusive)." In all such cases, however, give in the proper place of entry the name of the township or other division of county and also the name of the city, village, or borough, etc., in which the institution is situated.
90. Special enumerators will be appointed to canvass many of the larger institutions, and in such cases the tour of duty of the special institution enumerator will not extend beyond the boundaries of the institution grounds, but should include all those persons and inmates whose usual places of abode are clearly within the institution territory.
No questionnaire text is available for this sample.