2010 PUMA Definitions
- Version Summary
- Composition Files
- Reference Maps
- 2000-2010 PUMA Crosswalk
- Web Map of 2000 and 2010 PUMAs
- Boundary File
The 2010 version of Public Use Microdata Areas (PUMAs) is the lowest level of geography identified in 2010 census samples and in samples from the American Community Survey (ACS) and Puerto Rico Community Survey (PRCS) for 2012-2021.
The Census Bureau redraws PUMA boundaries every 10 years based on population information from the most recent decennial census. The 2010-based PUMAs were first used in ACS/PRCS samples for 2012 respondents. In Multi-Year ACS/PRCS files, the meaning of PUMA codes depends on the year the respondent was interviewed (see MULTYEAR). Codes for 2011 and earlier responses are based on 2000 PUMA definitions, and codes for 2012-2021 are based on 2010 definitions.
2010 PUMAs are defined as groups of counties and/or census tracts. The Census Bureau provides files that identify the components of each 2010 PUMA on their Public Use Microdata Areas (PUMAs) page in two formats:
- PUMA Equivalency Files
- List all relationships between 2010 PUMAs and 2010 counties, minor civil divisions (MCDs), places, and census tracts
- Available in state-based text files under "Reference Information > PUMA Equivalency Files > 2010"
- Census Tract to PUMA Relationship File
- Identifies the 2010 census tracts that comprise each 2010 PUMA
- Available in a single nationwide file under "Census Tract to PUMA Relationship Files"
Detailed maps of each individual 2010 PUMA can be downloaded from the Census Bureau's Reference Maps page (scroll to the bottom of the page).
2000-2010 PUMA Crosswalk
This file describes all relationships between 2000 and 2010 PUMAs, including 2000 population, 2010 population, land area, and 0010 ConsPUMA codes for each area of intersection:
- 2000-2010 PUMA Crosswalk (Excel spreadsheet)
Web Map of 2000 and 2010 PUMAs
The map below shows both the 2010 (in blue) and 2000 (in yellow) PUMA definitions. Clicking on the map will highlight and identify the county, 2000 PUMA, and 2010 PUMA for the selected location. You can select which boundaries you want to view using the Layers menu at the top of the map. There is also a larger map containing the same information.
- 2010 PUMAs (shapefile within a .ZIP file)
- 2010 PUMAs, 2020 TIGER/Line basis (shapefile within a .ZIP file)