The Census of 1880
Schedule 1. Free Inhabitants in _________, in the County of ________, State of _________, enumerated by me, on the _____ day of ___________, 1880.
Enumeration district No. ___________.
- Dwelling houses numbered in order of visitation.
- Families numbered in order of visitation.
- The name of every person whose place of abode on the 1st day of June, 1880, was in this family.
- Color - White, W; black, B; Mulatto, Mu; Chinese, C; Indian, I.
- Sex - Males (M), females (F)
- Age at last birthday prior to June 1, 1880. If under 1 year, give months in fractions, thus, 3/12.
- If born within the census year, give the month.
- Relationship of each person to the head of this family - whether wife, son, daughter, servant, boarder, or other.
- Widowed; divorced.
- Married during census year.
- Profession, occupation, or trade of each person, male or female.
- Number of months this person has been unemployed during the census year.
- Is the person (on the day of the enumerator's visit) sick or temporarily disabled, so as to be unable to attend to ordinary business or duties? Is so, what is the sickness or disability?
- Deaf and dumb.
- Maimed, crippled, bedridden, or otherwise disabled.
- Attended school within the census year.
- Can not read.
- Can not write.
- Place of birth of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth.
- Place of birth of the father of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth
- Place of birth of the mother of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth
In cities: Name of street; house number
- Note A.-
- The census year begins June 1, 1879, and ends May 31, 1880.
- Note B.-
- All persons will be included in the enumeration who were living on the 1st day of June. No others will. Children born since June 1, 1880 will be omitted. Members of families who have died since June 1, 1880, will be included.
- Note C.-
- Questions Nos. 13, 14, 22, and 23 are not to be asked in respect to persons under 10 years of age.
- Note D.-
- In making entries in columns 9, 10, 11, 12, 16 to 23 an affirmative mark only will be used - thus / , except in the case of divorced persons, column 11, when the letter "D" is to be used.
- Note E.-
- Question No. 12 will only be asked in cases where an affirmative answer has been given either to question 10 or to question 11.
- Note F.-
- Question No. 14 will only be asked in cases when a gainful occupation has been reported in column 13.
- Note G.-
- In column 17 an abbreviation in the name of the month may be used, as in Jan., Apr., Dec.